Friday, November 19, 2010

Fruitcake Night Anyone?

I found myself standing behind a sweet older woman in the grocery store yesterday.  I was trying to get in and out quickly with my pancetta and asparagus.  When it was her turn to check out, the woman gathered up 14 Skor candy bars, gave them to the clerk and then looking guiltily at me...she obviously wanted to explain.  "My husband has to eat one of these a day...keeps him smiling"  I assured her that if a candy bar a day kept her man happy then it was worth it. 


She then began telling me that she had to hurry home and get some baking done.  OK I jumped into it and asked what she was baking.  "Fruitcake...I'm already a little late to have it ready by Christmas.  I usually like to let it age longer."  


Fruitcake, does anyone ever really eat that stuff, or even know how to make it? And what...age longer?  Are you kidding me? 


The cute little lady then told me all her secrets about making a good fruitcake.  The brand of cherries that taste the best...what other types of fruit...and the best nuts to use.  I asked her where she learned to make fruitcake, she said from her mother, who learned from her mother.  And she's been making it ever since.


Fresh Peach Pie with Coconut Crumb Topping...possible pie night candidate
And then I had an epiphany...  If this new friend of mine (and other women like her) hasn't passed on her fruitcake secrets, someday fruitcake may actually become extinct.  


So maybe this year instead of Pie Night...I should initiate Fruitcake Night.  


Naaaa........maybe not, it doesn't have quite the same appeal!  Pie Night is just around the corner, are you ready?


2 comments:

  1. I was just discussing the art of fruitcake with my cute Mother-in-law tonight. And - she was telling me all about the boiled raisin cake her mother use to make. {shudder}I will definitely vote for PIE night. Can't wait! And that peach pie looks scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a fruitcake every year! It's my grandmother's recipe that my mom used to make (sound familiar). Several of us LOVE it. It does not have to age, soak or help anyone get drunk. It is full of nuts and dried fruits, medjool dates and maraschino cherries. It has lovely spices and lots of vanilla (the good stuff from Kitchen Kneads). I just might save you a slice if you promise to try it without a wrinkled-up nose and preformed opinions! But, DO NOT EVER change pie night!!!!

    ReplyDelete