Friday, February 21, 2014

The Kitchen Cabinet

Apple pie, chocolate chip cookies, and stone soup were among the imaginary recipes I made as a child in this little wooden kitchen cabinet.

My father, handy with wood shop skills, crafted it from his own design and hands. Dad signed the back of his creation and placed it near the Christmas tree...where two-year old little Lisa discovered the treasure.

My brothers might tell you I was spoiled...being the youngest and the only girl in the family. 

But I would tell you that I was just loved.

As I stepped through my childhood...my kitchen evolved from a  little wooden play kitchen...to playing in Mom's big kitchen...to sharing a college kitchen with roommates...and finally having a kitchen in my own home.

But the little wooden kitchen sat in a corner basement room...

just waiting for someone to open up the doors and let their culinary imagination run wild.

On the occasion of Olivia's first birthday a couple of years ago...my parents hauled the well-loved kitchen into her birthday party and presented little Olivia with her very own first kitchen.

Where Olivia and Henry have been stirring and cooking and baking delightful things ever since.

Do you think Olivia can smell the imaginary cookies stirred and baked in this little treasure by her Nana when I was just three years old?

Although childhood was long ago for me...I still feel the wonder and allure of every age I once was.

I am among those holding to the belief of...

once a child, always a child.


"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." Dr. Seuss







4 comments:

  1. Really love your storytelling, Lisa. I always look forward to your posts. It's great to see the two kids grow up before my very eyes. It feels like only yesterday when you shared the good news of having Olivia, then Henry. Look at them now! You are all so blessed to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Post.Thanks you for shareing these information.
    Kitchen cabinets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. Thanks for sharing! I want people to know just how good this information is in your article. It’s interesting content and great work. Best Modular Kitchen Designers In Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow amazing i saw the article with execution models you had posted. It was such informative. Really its a wonderful article. Thank you for sharing and please keep update like this type of article because i want to learn more relevant to this topic.
    Interior Designers In Chennai
    Interior Decorators In Chennai
    Modular Kitchen Chennai
    Home Interior Designers In Chennai
    Office Interior Designers In Chennai

    ReplyDelete