Sunday, January 9, 2011

Adoration In All Things

The Teenager thumbed deliberately through the pages of The Book of Common Prayer as if he were looking for something. He was not so anxiously waiting for his turn to play the piano in the holiday recital. St Johns Episcopal Church was kind enough to offer the use of their chapel for the event. The old wooden pews were hard and uncomfortable, but the chapel was the perfect setting. Each pew contained a copy of the prayer book and the Teenager was intent on keeping himself occupied with the contents. I glanced over at the open page where I read...

"What is adoration?"
"Adoration is the lifting up of the heart and mind to God, asking nothing but to enjoy his presence. Adore that which is around you."

I jotted down the passage and thought nothing more about it. The Teenager magnificently played his "Fat Man On a Roof" selection and we left for home.

As each day of the holiday season played out...the word "adore" began to toss around in my head.

I have an abundance of "adorable" things in my life at this time.

The life and miracle of my grand daughter Olivia, whose very presence simply makes me giggle and squeal with delight. Her Mommy and Daddy "adore" everything about her...you should hear her belly laugh at her Daddy...it's magical!

Individually, each member of my family is unique...bursting with energy and commitment in their current stage of life. I adore each and every one of them. Of course my angel daughter watches over us all, her touch often felt upon us.

And so it is that I have chosen "Adore" as my singular word and mantra for 2011. I'm not a New Year's resolution maker...never have been. If I were, I'd probably have to resolve to stop drinking Diet Coke or something ridiculous like that. Then where would I be? Rather, in 2011 I  plan to "adore" those people and moments that surround me. The sun as it kisses the mountain tops in the early morning just outside my window, the honey bees as they busily gather pollen to produce honey for me, the hubby who makes Jiggy Sticks with giddy intent, friends who are the glue sealing my broken heart together, all of this and so much more.

Adoration...I think I'll start right here.

3 comments:

  1. oh, this took my breath away. Thank you Lisa. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thoughtful. Thank you for sharing with all of us the adventures of the The Garlick Press. Olivia is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your mantra for 2011! I can't believe how big Olivia is getting, what a bundle of joy.

    ReplyDelete