Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Young Woman to Admire

The Garlick Press has been involved in a couple of projects; one has put me in Jocie's room quite frequently (more on that later). Last night I picked up one of her books that had virtually remained unopened for the past three years. I came across a slip of paper titled "Women I Admire." Three names made the list. While I consider it an honor to be identified among the other two, it was the last name on the list that resonates with me today...Sarah Burke. 

If you follow women's freestyle skiing at all, then you are aware the impact Sarah Burke has made both on and off the mountain. Sarah is the most well-known athlete in her sport. She set the standard for skiing in the superpipe and lobbied the Olympic committee to add superpipe skiing to the Olympic Winter games. She finally won the Olympic officials favor...the sport is set to debut in Sochi Russia at the 2014 Olympic Games. Many consider her to be a favorite for the gold medal in the inaugural superpipe competition. During off-time, Sarah also occupies her days with charity work.

Heartbreaking news...Sarah Burke passed away today in Park City, nine days after crashing at the bottom of a training run on the superpipe.

I can't help but weep for her family, knowing how empty their hearts and lives will be without this incredible young woman. The pain is all too familiar; an eternal wound that never quite heals. Both Sarah and Jocie left this world doing the very thing they loved most in life...how many of us will be able to say that? My prayers humbly reach out to every member of Sarah's grieving family.

Undeniably, she was Jocie's idol in the skiing world, but it was Sarah's charitable work that my impressionable young fifteen-year old daughter thought notable in her list. I believe that speaks volumes to Sarah's impact on young women. Because of her passion for skiing and the desire to make our world a better place, Sarah's legacy will carry on where her physical life has been cut short.

Tonight...I have to imagine Jocie and Sarah will somehow meet on those snow-covered slopes in heaven. Appropriately...the heavens are showering Sarah's earthly departure with snowflakes.

Bless you Sarah...you will be missed!



7 comments:

  1. What a coincidence you saw that note from Jocie last night ... beautiful post Lisa .... so so sad :(

    Sheena

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, I thought of you when I heard about Sarah. So sad. I think they need jiggysticks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine that this hit home for you. God Bless. Perhaps they will meet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a coincidence...a blessing. Possibly for both families. You, more than anyone, can understand and know their pain. What a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How heartbreaking for her family. I will be praying for them as I am still praying for you and your family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How heartbreaking for her family. I will be praying for them as I am still praying for you and your family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm amazed that you would find this slip of paper at this time when Sarah passed away - actually, if I think about it for a few moments longer maybe it's not amazing at all, just simply your Jocie talking to you.

    ReplyDelete