Wednesday, February 22, 2012

On The Tip of My Hip Nose

Being quite hip...at least I like to think I am, I frequent fabulous stores like Anthropologie, J Crew, and the designer department (code for pricey) at Nordstrom. Definitely not the old lady section as the daughters commonly refer to it. Lately I have taken a liking to a brand called Free People...very bohemian...that's what I am!

I know that Tangerine Tango is the color of the year, purchasing a couple of items in this delightful hue. Truthfully...I bought them because my closet is filled with pink and I am trying to branch out. But hey...at least I know that Tangerine Tango is cooler than just plain old Orange


Almost daily I receive a battering of catalogues from Williams-Sonoma, Victoria's Secret, Under Armour, Pottery Barn and Sephora...making sure I stay on top of all the latest trends.

Summer and Winter months alike, you will find me hiking and skiing in our mountains. Working hard to stay in shape and feeling good about myself. Last week I skied a chute at Snow-basin and even hucked a cornice. Ask your kids what that means!

Tech gadgets are plentiful at The Garlick Press, including an iPhone, pink laptop (did you even have to wonder), and a Kindle. Admittedly though, no iPad here...that belongs to the business travelling husband. I'm convinced I wouldn't have time for it anyway. My tech savvy offspring keep me informed of new must-have apps to download...my favorite is Shazam. I pursue photography passionately and post regularly on this blog...although sometimes I wonder why, but that's another post.

I carry a black patent leather Kate Spade bag to hold all of my awesome stuff, including jiggysticks, frequent buyer cards from all my hip shopping places, and sunglasses...cool sunglasses.

Music is a huge part of my hip, youthful lifestyle and I love it all...Maroon 5, The Black Keys, Train (slight addiction), A Fine Frenzy, Ingrid Michaelson, Elton John, and Queen. I'll even admit to loving a little Lady Gaga just for kicks and giggles.

When it was time to transition into grandparent-dom...I hoped to go there tastefully and gracefully. Olivia and Henry make sure that I have my hip name Nana. Summarily, you must agree I'm definitely not your stereotypical grandmotherly type.

BUT...you knew there was a BUT coming...despite all efforts to remain cool and hip and youthful, reality has landed . And I mean landed right in front of my face at the tip of my nose!

Early one ordinary Monday morning a few months ago, I sat down at my computer and had the rudest of all awakenings. Despite all my best squinting efforts I COULDN'T READ A BLASTED THING! Blinking vigorously, I willed my eyes to focus on the words in front of me. Quickly reassuring myself I just needed a new pair of contacts, my favorite eye doctor gave me the news I had been dreading for years...nothing wrong out of the ordinary.

Just cold, hard reality...welcome to the wonderful world of reader glasses.

Ugh!


Officially it's called presbyopia, but I call it annoying! Getting older...I think there is a word for it...but I can't say it here. Free People, Kate Spade, or even Lady Gaga can't do a single thing for my aging eyes.

After wallowing in the pity pig pen for a few days, I did the only thing this hip Nana could possibly do...I went shopping! I now own 6 pair of  hip reading glasses...stashing them in various rooms all over my house and even one in my Kate Spade bag. My fabulous hip friend Jill commissioned daughter Andi to make me an adorable beaded eyeglass holder.

And if you haven't heard, apparently it is hip to wear reader glasses now...for even Anthropologie carries them! Oh, and I plan on owning this growing old thing...bring it on!



11 comments:

  1. I was encouraged here a few months ago by Michelle. I love her blog and I now love yours. Though reading blogs does, at times, feel a bit voyeuristic, I must say that you give me hope. Hope that someday I can be even a fraction as cool as you are as I get older. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meleana, I'm definitely NOT cool...just really good at fooling people! So happy you left a comment, it made me so happy!

      Delete
  2. PISH POSH You will never be old, or even age, it is all in the mind!! When the readers don't work anymore take a little visit to the doctor for some Lasik, it is magic!! You willl always be HIP, yet HUMBLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still hip and stylish Lisa! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i only hope to be as hip and cool as you when i get to grandma-hood!

    love your style, and i loved meeting and chatting with you! hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashli,
      So great to hear from you. You know the offer to stay at The Garlick Press Bed and Breakfast still stands...just keep me posted!

      Delete
  5. You made me laugh, Lisa! Plus you're adorable! I have completely embraced my middle age blindness and now consider eye wear a must-have accessory! Just ordered a new pair the other day. You know you've arrived when you have to get Progressive lenses. :) I LOVE your style!! Plus you have great taste in music...Queen rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have the right idea Julie...I like the way you think. We are going to be blind whether we like it or not...might as well embrace it!

      Delete
  6. Love Free People and Tangerine Tango(you should see my Tangerine shoes)..AND I've had readers for two years. ..I got them about 6 months after my baby was born. Most of the time though I just have my 9 year old read the small print for me as it still pains my ego to wear them. lol

    You though are hot in them. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The glasses look very nice indeed - very cool outfit you're wearing by the way, boots and all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids love Maroon 5. And Queen. When there is karaoke going on, they ask to sing We Will Rock You. <3 the shot of you and Izzy in your new specs. Very hip!

    ReplyDelete