Monday, November 12, 2012

Fakes-giving

My absolute favorite part of Thanksgiving is cooking and baking with my daughters...I think they both feel the same. Since Cass will be celebrating the holiday with hubby's family this year, I thought it would be fun if we had our own early "Fakes-giving!"


Discussing pie recipes, Dean jumped into the planning details and suggested we make a pumpkin pie completely from scratch. He's always FULL of good ideas and so helpful when it comes to pie!


Surprisingly...though I am known as the pie queen, I have never made my own pumpkin pie puree. Cass and I did some googling where The Pioneer Woman assured us it was super easy and totally worth the effort!


Ugh...I always inadvertently leave my cabinet doors open when I cook.
Grown specifically for baking, we carefully cut the perfect pumpkins into halves...

maybe enjoying the cutting part a little too much!


Convincing Dean that this is the part he's always good at, he helped us scrape out the pumpkin guts.

This was probably our least favorite part. I use the word "our" loosely since clearly I am behind the camera and not elbow deep in pumpkin guts!

Ready for roasting!

After roasting the chunks for twice as long as The Pioneer Woman instructed...the pumpkin was finally fork tender and ready to puree.

Puree...and puree...and puree some more!

We were so proud...practically Pioneer Women ourselves!

As for the results...yes! One Hundred and Ten Percent yes! The flavor, the texture, the pie! Absolutely worth the effort and I would do it again!

Thanks a bunch Dean...that just made Pie Night more intense and complicated!






6 comments:

  1. You are DEFINITELY Pioneer Women. :) I've never made a pumpkin pie from scratch myself yet either. Your post got me a little bit closer to doing it though. Happy Fakes-giving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching up...absolutely love the photo of Henry kissing Chet. Adore it! Your autumn photos are so beautiful...as usual. AND really looking forward to Pie Night! No pressure, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I would make an excellent facial expression addition to the second picture from the last.

    I expect nothing less than pureed spectacularity for the REAL Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dean is SO helpful when it comes to crazy projects! Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha! Dean's idea was so easy for him to complete ;) I love this. Make me want to ALMOST make this happen. I wish I liked pumpkin pie.

    ReplyDelete